“Companies spend millions of dollars on firewalls, encryption and secure access devices, and it’s money wasted; none of these measures address the weakest link in the security chain.”
– Kevin Mitnick, “The World’s Most Famous Hacker”
The Rise of IT Security
Flashback to February 1995. In one of the first high-profile FBI cases related to computer security, the North Carolina-based hacker Kevin Mitnick was arrested and charged with wire fraud and breaching the secure IT environments of multiple companies including Motorola, Sun Microsystems and Pacific Bell – pointing out how vulnerable even the most secure IT environments are to hackers.
Most IT industry experts, ourselves included, followed along in shock and awe. The hacker spent about five years in prison, including eight months in solitary confinement, and two years in supervised release. Since then, he’s written multiple books and become “The World’s Most Famous Hacker.”
One thing Mitnick taught the industry is that no matter how many IT products, services and devices you purchase – your entire IT environment needs to be secure or your organization is vulnerable to data theft. At Compudyne, we believe bundling these security tools together is the best way to create a secure office IT environment. We stay on top of the industry’s cutting-edge technology to help your information stay secure, and these are some of the most important tools available:
IT Industry’s Top Security Tools
- Anti-Spam tools block spam, viruses and spyware schemes before they reach your inbox.
- Email Encryption, which allows you to route, block and brand outgoing messages based on corporate policies.
- Hosted or On-Site Data Backup means you can restore your data at a moment’s notice.
- Endpoint Protection protects individual devices from becoming breached.
- Next Generation Firewalls provide organizations with airtight policy change management, constantly-updated firmware, additional security layers and more.
- Threat Response, which detects, logs and eliminates threats.
- Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) help your users send and receive data across shared or public networks, just as if the user was working within a private network.
- Web Security, Filtering and Reporting provides in-depth web content analysis and filtering in addition to malware detection.
Steps You Must Take Today
We recommend you utilize tools to keep your IT environment secure. That being said, there are still multiple steps you need to take within your organization to protect your data. You can purchase every amazing tool available, but as Mitnick taught us, you’re only as strong as your weakest link.
That’s why we’ve gathered our IT experts and compiled a list of the things you need to do now to protect your business. These tips are easy, convenient and a great way for new businesses to get started with securing their IT environment. They also serve as a great reminder for established businesses seeking to check in on their IT security status. Remember, it’s always a good idea to conduct a security check on a regular basis to ensure your environment is secure and up-to-date. Download our FREE guide to check out our top tips.
Download Compudyne’s 10 Tips for Smart IT Security